Monday, August 8, 2016

The Power Of Sponsorship

Guest Blog By: Tamera Hopkin of Pocatello, ID

I came in anticipation of the red Ugandan dirt, the warm Ugandan sun and the smiling faces of the beautiful Ugandan children. 

Upon de-boarding the plane, my heart sank. The red Ugandan dirt was covered with trash, the warm Ugandan sun was hot, humid, and overcast by the smoky haze of burning garbage.  The beautiful Ugandan children along the way to Mbiko were longing - but for what, I was not certain - surely food, clothing, shelter, love, perhaps all of the above and more. 

So many people in conditions that were more foreign to me than the country to which I had travelled. Nothing could prepare me for the transition that both my perceptions and my heart would take over the next week. 

As I walked through the gates of Rock of Ages School I was taken aback by how small the school quarters were. How could 250+ children possibly receive an education in these tiny classrooms with no lighting, no white boards, no nicely lined rows of desks upon which to place their books and papers? 

And then, as we entered into each classroom it began to happen, we interrupted their lessons and were greeted by standing students who welcomed us as visitors. They smiled and one by one introduced themselves with the warmest of welcomes I could imagine.  

When I spotted her, she grinned with a smile so infectious that my concerns of the tiny desk at which she sat with three of her classmates began to diminish. She giggled and thanked me for sponsoring her so that she could come to school. Her shyness was apparent yet she so openly displayed her gratitude for what I contribute to her. So little on my part means so much on her part - an education - yes, a meal a day of posho and beans - yes. But in this tiny classroom where she sits day to day in her required uniform including school shoes that are at least two sizes too small she gets so much more. Respect, love, friendship, life skills, guidance for healthy living and hope for a future that otherwise would be absent. 

We visit her home, a small, single room made of cement.  Here she lives with her mom, little sister, and brother. She sleeps upon a mat on the cement floor and we have brought her a mattress but now I wonder where it will be placed. We have brought her clothing and shoes and a doll. That infectious smile that makes my heart sing appears on her beautiful face once again and she bows on bended knee to thank me. 

Yes, we have given her "things", things that I cannot give to the other 249+ children at Rock of Ages School and for a brief moment I feel bad about that but then I realize that these "things" are not what makes the difference. The things will wear out, and over time will become a part of the red dust covered piles of trash surrounding the community. I am still happy to have been able to provide them and to feel her excitement, like my own children on the occasion of a birthday or Christmas morning, but the real gift I provide is her sponsorship to obtain an education. Without my monthly contribution she may never know the joys of reading, the knowledge of science, or the satisfaction of solving a mathematical equation. But most importantly she may never acknowledge the hope of a life better than she would know otherwise. 

Hands4Uganda exists to bring hope to these children through education, encouragement, and the love of Christ. Upon returning to the school the next day I see past the dimly lit classrooms. I no longer question the tight quarters in which the children sit elbow-to-elbow listening intently to their teacher. I now see the desire they have to learn, I hear the excitement in their voices when they have solved a difficult problem and I spot her again. I sit next to her and her beaming smile is all I need to know that she is happy today. She leans close and whispers, "Auntie, mommy says I can wear my new sandals tomorrow since it's a holiday".  We learn it's Ramadan the next day and this will be our last opportunity to spend time with the children. 

As we leave the school that day, I wrap my arms around her and tell her how much I love her, that I’m glad she’s in my life, that I’m honored to be her auntie. I hug her goodbye one last time and leave her behind to sweep, with a makeshift broom of straw, the red cement floor of her classroom - her assigned student chore for the day. 

And as we load the van and leave our friends from Mbiko behind, my heart is heavy but the red Ugandan dirt upon my feet is more beautiful than I ever imagined. The Ugandan sun upon my face provides a warmth that I may never feel again and I realize at that moment that the longing I see in the children's eyes is mostly for hope.  Hope for their future, for a life that can be different through education and the knowledge of the love of Jesus Christ. 

Though most sponsors may never get the opportunity to meet their child face to face, I encourage you to make a difference in the life of a child.  For only $30 per month you can give a child hope for a future they will not have otherwise.


I am happy to sponsor her, I have witnessed first hand the difference I can make through Hands4Uganda. And it brings me joy knowing that she now has the opportunity to look forward to a better future.

1 comment:

  1. This is a GREAT post!!! Love it and love the way you shared your heart and perceptions!!!!

    ReplyDelete