Monday, June 27, 2016

Learning

Guest Post From: Hannah Drake 

Hannah and the ROA Kids
I have been here only a few short days and have already learned so much. This land is absolutely beautiful. But what is even more beautiful are the people in it. We come here knowing that so many have so little, and yet so many have so much to give. It may not be money-oriented but what they give us is greater than anything materialistic. It’s love. It’s joy. It’s peace. And while many of them are hurting in ways that I can hardly fathom they still manage to take the time to look into my eyes, hold my hand, and make me feel loved. That is something I have never experienced anywhere else in the world.

Part of me felt as if I had been to Africa before because for so long I have dreamt of what it would be like to actually be in Uganda alongside my beautiful sister and watch as her purpose unfolded right before my eyes. I have packed the bags, raised the funds, watched as Rock of Ages grew into what it has become today, and overtime understood the many challenges in trying to make a difference when we seem to be a world away. I have held a special place in my heart for this project and these people for quite some time. And as I sit here now in this breathtaking country I can say that I had a slight grasp on what reality might be like over here. But now I am finally here. And my eyes have truly been opened.

One moment that will forever be close to my heart and as clear as day in my head was the first time I walked through the gate at Rock of Ages. I could hear the sound of little voices at play on the other side and as Bettye opened the doors to let us in tiny faces flooded the entrance and ran to our arms with the utmost excitement. Hugs, hand-holding, and smiles seemed to be in never ending supply as these children expressed their love and appreciation for us. In that moment I realized that I was finally here – no longer watching from afar and waving goodbye to teams as they travelled to experience what I was now experiencing.

Anything with as much beauty, passion, and love as this experience often comes with difficult times too. And of course we have witnessed a few of these. While love is not in short supply there are so many entities vital to life that are. Shoes, clean water, clothes, school supplies, mosquito nets, beds, food. We do our best to provide as many people as we can with the items that they need but the task of giving everyone something can be overwhelming as it is nearly impossible for us to do so. It is difficult to be okay with the fact that still, as we do everything we can to help, so many little ones are sleeping on the red dirt tonight with empty stomachs. I am learning how important it is to appreciate what we are able to do and the lives that we are able to change. At the same time we must never forgetting about the ones that we have not touched yet. They are the ones that keep us here. They fuel our passion to do as much as we can in order to assure that they are not left behind.

A few days ago we were finishing up letters from all of the students to take home to their sponsors. One young girl in Primary 4 broke into tears as we pulled her out of the classroom to take her photo. Bettye quickly comforted the girl and asked the reason for her tears. The young girl’s mother had abandoned her and her two younger brothers just the day before. Her pain seeped into all of our hearts and we became overwhelmed in that moment. I had felt as if I was on cloud nine for so long. We had been having so much fun, making so much progress, and helping so many students. But in this moment I realized that there are certain boundaries we cannot cross. There are certain situations in which there is nothing we can do. No amount of money or compassion can replace the love that a mother has for her own children.

Times like these can be so difficult to grasp. But let me tell you this. After Bettye spoke to the girl with a loving voice and a caring heart the girl whipped away her tears, stood up straight, and managed to smile ever so softy for her picture. The strength that young girl possesses is strength that I have seen demonstrated by so many young students at Rock of Ages.


I never imagined that I would learn so much from these beautiful little faces. There is still much to be done and many bags to be unpacked but right now I am so thankful as I look back on the few short days that I have had here. Amongst what many would describe as complete chaos there is so much strength, so much beauty, and so much to experience. We are so blessed to be a part of the many lives here.

No comments:

Post a Comment